debian and sata drives

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Wed Nov 16 17:38:52 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Sean McMahon wrote:

> Yet te last time I looked at a 2.6 kernel config the messages said that sada
> support was depricated and to use some tool I can't remember the name of for
> sada support.  What does that really mean if anything?

There are two SATA drivers in the 2.6 kernel.  One is under the IDE
section, and that's the one that is listed as deprecated.  The second one
is under SCSI.  You have to select SCSI support, even if you don't have
any SCSI devices.  To me, that should be the deprecated driver, but it is
the one that has pretty much taken over, as it supports many more
controllers.  It is called Libata.