ot.. about mp3 players

LARRY SKUTCHAN lskutchan at aph.org
Mon Nov 14 13:18:52 EST 2005

I'm pretty sure the Courier does not do ogg, and I know for sure the
Book Port does not.

>>> kirk at braille.uwo.ca Saturday, November 12, 2005 4:59:25 PM >>>
Well, I don't know about the book currier but you don't need windows
to upload content to the bookport.  I have transferred data back and
forth from both the usb connector and with a conpact flash reader.

Now you do need windows to use the transfer program which reformats
the text file into sentence lines and do the indexing but you can
place e-texts in the notes directory and it works just fine.

I have even updated the firmware from linux by copying the newer
update to the conpact flash and then attaching and dettaching the usb
cable.  Go figure!  I'm sure you could just load the update through
the usb cable but I find sliding the compact flash into a reader and
mounting it easier.

I thought the mp3 playing was done in hardware so if the book currier
  can play ogg/vorbis and the bookport cannot then their hardware
  platforms must be different.  Maybe Larry will have something to say
  on the subject.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061