Linux Screen Magnification

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Thu Nov 10 16:58:51 EST 2005

I don't know of any such program, but there might be a neat way to
accomplish the same thing without a program.

It is common practice to specify parameters for a text console other
than the usual 80 by 25, although the available alternatives differ from
one video card to the next. You change those dimensions within the
lilo.conf file with a line that say "vga = xxx" where you have to find
the proper value for xxx that matches your video card and your needs.

Usually folks want more chars per line and more lines per screen. Mine
is set to 132 by 60, and it is a terrific convenience. But what if you
were to specify fewer than 80 chars and fewer than 25 lines? That would
amount to screen magnification in a text console, seems to me.

I have seen examples of that being done in some manual or other, so it
should be worth the trouble to hunt it up and pin it down.

And of course in Linux it's free and public.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (70% of Full)
But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh