OT: weird sound and network problem

jacob schmude j.schmude at gmail.com
Fri May 27 16:13:09 EDT 2005

Hi all
I recently installed Gentoo linux on my AMD Athlon64 system.
Everything, except for the sound and network, seems to work fine.
However, the sound and network are having a problem that I've never
seen before and have had no luck at all researching. The sound card is
an SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum PRO, the ethernet card is an onboard nVidia
NForce3 250GB controller. The problem is this: if I'm using the
soundcard for any extended length of time, both sound and network will
lock up without warning and with absolutely no messages in the logs
indicating a failure. The sound will repeat the last few seconds it
was playing before the lock up in a repeated loop, while the network
will not work at all--though there's no indication of failure in the
output of ifconfig eth0 or dmesg. Bringing eth0 down then back up
again, oddly enough, will correct both issues for a little while, but
it will happen again. Usually I can't use the sound for any longer
than ten minutes before this happens. I'm using the ALSA emu10k1
driver for the audigy, and I've tried both the free, kernel-provided
driver and NVidia's proprietary driver for my network card. The
results are the same with both network drivers, and I can't really try
another audio driver since snd-emu10k1 is the only one that supports
my card and I can't try my onboard sound without completely removing
the audigy2--which I really don't want to do, since it was a pain
getting everything hooked up to it. Has anyone ever seen this problem
or anything similar? If so, is there a way to fix it?

thx