Speakup or dectalk, and the answer?

jaffar at jeffstudio.net jaffar at jeffstudio.net
Sun May 22 10:33:49 EDT 2005

Hi Friends.  So I am back with the same problem.  With the help of my sighted nephew, I can confirm the installation of Fedora takes place when I boot from Disk 1 of the Fedora Distro.  Problem is, speakup or dectalk won't communicate that info to me.  My nephew saw two options onscreen when the install starts, press enter for the graphical installation or type linux for a textual installation.  I tried text speakup_synth=dectlk, but with no success.  Dectalk or speakup, i don't know which, just shuts up on me.  If the worse came to the worse, if I were to get my nephew's assistance during the install process, how then can i get speakup to work after the install stage?  Also, and I don't know if this would solve the problem, the com port 1 and the non-existent com port 3 is sharing the same IRq allocation.  Could it be that speakup, because of this shared resource allocation cannot determine exactly on which port my dectalk express is connected too?  All solutions to this on running puzzle is very much appreciated.  Cheers!