mounting a USB drive

David Bruzos david at bruzos.org
Tue May 17 09:22:25 EDT 2005

Hi:
If your device is a standard usb disk, all you have to do is specify the device, FS and mount-point.  Type something like:
# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/your_mount_point
You have to do this as root.  The FS should be detected automatically.  Fat32 is "vfat".  If you want to be able to mount
the device as a regular user, you have to put it in the /etc/fstab file.  The device is going to be something like
/dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1 or something like that.  USB drives are used over the SCSI emulation layer, so they show up as SCSI
devices.
However, there is a very nice system called "HAL"
that will make the removable storage devices mount on the fly.  "HAL" is cool!  If you are using Debian testing, it will be
there.

HTH

David B.