alsa-driver-1.0.6

Dawes, Stephen Stephen.Dawes at calgary.ca
Thu May 12 10:17:14 EDT 2005

It was mentioned back near the beginning of this thread that the speakup
modified kernels include alsa-1.8.
Use ftp to download the latest kernel from
linux-speakup.org/pub/speakup/disks/fedora/3/i386
You are looking for the kernel that relates to your machine.

Here is how the file naming convention works. (at least how I interpret
it.)
kernel-version-revision_distribution.architecture.rpm
-> kernel-version is a kernel for a single processor computer. (most
PC'spaces)
-> kernel-smp-version is a kernel for a multi-processor computer. (These
are usually server type computers)
-> version is the version of the kernel. (2.6.11 indicates that the
kernel is release 11 of a 2.6 kernel)
-> revision_distribution is a RedHat naming convention that tells you
which distribution the kernel is intended for.
   (1.4_FC3SPK 1.4 indicates the rpm build occurrence. The fc3spk
indicates that it is Fedora Core 3 speakup modified.)
-> -architecture indicates the type of computer you are running on.
(i686 indicates that you are using a 686 processor in your computer.
   (i386 will work on all processors.
    Whereas a i686 will only work on a 686 processor.
    The lowest common denominator is i386, and then for the different
processors,
    additional instructions are included for the enhanced capabilities
of the
    different processors.)
Below are the latest kernels on linux-speakup.org that are for fedora
core 3:
   kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3spk.i586.rpm
   kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3spk.i686.rpm
   kernel-doc-2.6.11-1.14_FC3spk.noarch.rpm
   kernel-smp-2.6.11-1.14_FC3spk.i586.rpm
   kernel-smp-2.6.11-1.14_FC3spk.i686.rpm

I am not going to go into how to install the kernel. This is documented
in
the speakup howto and has been given a lot of airtime in the past here
on
the list. (check the archives for past discussions on installing
kernels)

If I have made any mistakes in explaining the naming convention please
jump in and fix my errors.
I was explaining it as how I interpret it.
Thus, I may be a little wrong in the exact explanation of the file
naming convention.

Janina, as food for thought,
perhaps the rpm naming convention would be a good appendix to add to the
speakup howto.

Steve Dawes
Phone: (403) 268-5527
Email: SDawes at calgary.ca

NOTICE -
This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution, or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and cooperation.