getting my emu 1820 professional soundcard working under fedora core 3

Nick Gawronski nick at nickgawronski.com
Sat May 7 13:32:04 EDT 2005

Hi, I am using the emu 1820 professinal sound card from http://www.emu.com
and emu 1820 is being seen as a sound blaster autigy2 by creative.  Emu is
part of creative so in a way it is correctly seeing the card but when I
try to set volume threw alsamixer the card does not have 5.1 speakers and
I am using standerd two speaker setup.  I get all of the settings correct
save them using alsactl store then when I play a wav or au files using
play file.wav I get no sound at all and no errors from sox.  Its like the
file is playing but the soundcard is not processing the audio.  I upgraded
to this professional soundcard that has both wdm and asio driver support
in windows xp professional sp2 because I do 24-bit audio editing in
soundforge 8.0.  I have two remoable harddrives, one for windows and one
for linux so the two operating systems can each be on their own drive
because I could have installed both on one drive but I like to seporate
them so if I need to take windows into be repaired if I should ever need
to do so linux won't be touched.  One note, I lost one linux system
completely because of this very reason, restored windows 98 from a ghost
image and the swap and linux partition were lost completely, the harddrive
whent from a 13GB windows partition to a 27GB partition so that is why
when I upgraded to windows xp a while agoe I used that drive as my windows
drive and got a 80GB drive for linux.  I am just passing along this
information so others won't need go threw whent I whent threw with lousing
linux.  bye

--
My web page is at http://www.nickgawronski.com.