re-installing Debian

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu May 5 21:55:50 EDT 2005

Enough room, yes. But you would be resizing an existing partition that
has data you specifically don't want to lose. You wouldn't want to make
a mistake with that.

Instead, why not tar and bunzip your /home and copy it off somewhere. Do
you have another machine you could copy such a file to?

You could do something like this:

cd /home

tar cjpf home_files.tbz *

Then, go to bed, because this could take awhile. In the morning you will
be able to:

ls -l home_files.tbz

and you'll know approx how much room they'll take on another machine.

CAUTION: If you also need to preserve mail, web pages, and ftp, you may
need to copy those from /var, if they're not already copied, symlink'd,
or otherwise backed up.