re-installing Debian

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Thu May 5 20:08:25 EDT 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Glenn at home wrote:

> But I am sure it is on the same partition, because I just do
> cd /home from /
> and I am in home.

That does not mean it's on the same partition.  That's the way Unix and
Linux work.  All directories are mounted under /, no matter whether they
are on a floppy, hard disk, MP3 player, CD ROM, DVD, etc.  The only way to
be sure about whether /home is on another partition is to look at
/etc/fstab, or do a "df" command without options.  If /home is on its own
partition, it will be listed, along with its device, and how much space is
used and free.  Or, if you do "df -h," you'll get the same information in
a more readable format with sizes given in whatever unit is appropriate.
For example, here is what my system looks like.  I have a dual boot system
with Windows XP Professional, and Slackware 10.1.  I have a large
"/backup" partition which I store system backups on before I burn them to
DVD+RW.  Not surprisingly, Windows takes up way more space than Linux,
even with lots of programs under /usr/local which I have compiled myself.
I am considering splitting the /backup partition off, and moving
/usr/local onto its own partition as well.  My hard drive is serial ATA,
but for some reason, the kernel support for that is under SCSI, so it
shows up as /dev/sda instead of /dev/hda.

/dev/sda3             7.8G  3.5G  4.0G  47% /
/dev/sda5             2.0G  532M  1.4G  28% /home
/dev/sda7              19G  2.0G   16G  11% /backup
/dev/sda2              83G   14G   70G  16% /windows