re-installing Debian

David Bruzos david at bruzos.org
Thu May 5 12:45:25 EDT 2005

Hi Glenn:
The answer to your question is yes.  As long as you have a /home partition, then all you have to do is not format your
/home partition when you install over.  Make sure that you have the partition by checking if the root partition (/) is
different from your /home.  For example, your root might be something like /dev/hda2 and your /home might be something like
/dev/hda4.  If both are the same, then you will have to use another method of backing up your files.  Use the "df" command
to find out, or look in /etc/fstab.
If you can burn your stuff to CD, I definitly recommend you do that.  Sometimes a simple mistake can result in your HDD
getting wiped out.  I just recently made one of those mistakes and load-leveled my root partition.  I was trying to repare
an HD with bad blocks and I typed /dev/hda instead of /dev/hdc, it was late at night!  Good thing that all of
my docs/music/movies/etc are on my server over NFS!  Oh well, I ended up reinstalling Gentoo instead of FC3 and I am very
happy with it...

HTH

David B.