can't invoke sed properly...

Laura Eaves leaves1 at carolina.rr.com
Tue May 3 06:45:54 EDT 2005

This may be a newer implementation of sed.  The one I ran while working on
the said project (no pun intended) did indeed have a silent buffer limit and
the bug was a real bear to find but easy to fix -- we just changed to awk,
which is more flexible and powerful than sed.
I hadn't heard of the -i option, but I don't deny it exists.
But my question is this: don't you have to put the file on the command line
when using -i rather than just redirecting with the shell > sign?
So you'd presumably have
    sed -i pattern filename
and sed would edit filename in place.
Nice feature.

But note that clobbering an input file by naming it also as the output file
is a common mistake newbies make with many commands and it is a good idea to
point it out so the user will beware.

Cheers.
--le