can't invoke sed properly...

Laura Eaves leaves1 at carolina.rr.com
Mon May 2 16:58:59 EDT 2005

Be careful putting the output into the same file as the input.
Note that I/O redirection takes place before the programs start running, so
cat will open myfile and the shell will redirect the output to the input of
sed, and before sed or cat ever start running, the shell will clobber the
output file if it exists to make way for the output of sed.
Just use different names and later move the file back to the original if you
want it updated.
Oh and you don't use the -e option -- I don't remember what version of sed I
was using when I ran that.
But the -e option is useful if you have several patterns to apply to each
input line.  sed will read the -e options left to right and treat each
pattern as being on one line.  Of course you could always just use a quoted
pattern that ran over multiple lines, but it is cleaner to use -e.

Finally, be careful using sed or any other pattern matching command, that
you use single quotes instead of double quotes on the command line, as using
double quotes will result in some undesired translation.  For example:

sed "1,$d"

will actually translate to

sed "1,xyz"

where xyz is the value of the environment variable d.
Lots of little gotchas in pattern matching.
Have fun!
--le