Planning a VoiceOver Main Menu Review

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sun May 1 19:42:44 EDT 2005

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 06:01:37PM -0500, Glenn at home wrote:
> I think Mac users are ignorant of many important things about computer use.
> I have seen people who claim that they would only use a Mac, and they didn't
> even know how to use one.

Well, Mac users certainly don't have a monopoly on computer
illiteracy. I probably know, or have seen, at least a barrelfull of
similarly-nequipped PC users...and I should know...I used to work in
tech support.

But here's the thing. Do drivers of automobiles have to know how their
cars work? No...that's why God invented mechanics. And, for the most
part, the computer has become an appliance that you don't have to know
a whole lot about in order to use effectively. If Apple has actually
made one that you really don't have to understand in order to use,
that's fantastic...because that's what most people want. Not you and
me, maybe, but a lot of people. PC's are getting to that point, but
there are still a lot of things that we have to futz with, and if that
isn't so true on the mac, what's the harm?

And to be fair, there are plenty of very computer-savvy folks who
know--use--and love the Macintosh. Because even with its simplicity
(so they tell me), there's an awful lot of power off in there,
too. Remember that OSX at its core is a Unix. And then there's the
PowerPC architecture itself. It's not for nothing that MHz for MHz the
PowerPC is more powerful at the slower speeds than their Wintel
equivalents.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV : Co-Mod. of http://www.assist.com/Pennsylvania
Protect Your Family From Disease: glyconutrients help your body