Building speechd-up

Sean McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Thu Mar 31 12:35:05 EST 2005

Yes, the sftsyn is built-in to the kernel it isn't a module.  You can try to
activate it by saying echo sftsyn > /proc/speakup/synth_name
I don't know if this works but try it and see what happens.  You also have to
create the softsynth device and a few other things mentioned in yesterday's
speakup user documentation post.  The recommended way is to build the softsyn
driver as a module, which will mean you'll have to create a custome kernel.
That doesn't mean you can't make what you need to work with the existing speakup
you have.Try just changing the synth name first and see if you can run
speechd_up as root.  If that doesn't work, look for the kernel-package howto.
kernel-package is an easy way to build kernels in Debian.  If you can't find it,
I can send you the link but a search for kernel-package howto or kernel-package
documentation should bring it up.