rhel es 3 kernels available

Trevor Astrope astrope at tabbweb.com
Wed Mar 30 14:55:15 EST 2005

For anyone interested, I have rhel es 3 kernels available for i686
architecture. I've been using the kernel-smp package for over a month with
a dectalk express synth. The only problem I've experienced is the synth
sometimes gets stuck in high pitch capital mode, but manages to work
itself out, especially if I move around letter by letter on the numpad.

I don't believe the packages violate any licensing, as they were compiled
from the source rpm. However, you will likely forfeit your Red Hat support
if you use these kernels. I would also strongly urge you not to use these
kernels on a production system and only use them on your personal
workstation.

You can get the packages at http://www.tabbweb.com/rhel-3-speakup/

You will need access to a machine that already has rhel 3 installed to use
these packages. It is possible to rebuild the installer and cd's with the
kernel-BOOT rpm. I did this, so I know it is possible to install rhel with
speech. However, it would violate the rhel license if I distributed a
speakup modified rhel, so I won't go there. But there are a lot of
resources on the net for doing this if you're inclined.

Enjoy,

Trevor