Information needed.

jim grimsby jimgrims at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 30 00:53:58 EST 2005

>From your answers I understood the following things.
1. to speak all through the gnu linux  installation process I need a
Hardware synth.
Yes that is correct the following hardware is supported and there key
words to get them going.

 the accent pc acntpc
 the accent stand alone acntsa
 the audaptor audptr
 the dectalk external decext
 the dectalk express dectlk
This includes the dectalk usb serial mode only
 the doubletalk pc dtlk
 the doubletalk lt or litetalk ltlk
This includes the tritel talk serial mode only
 the keynote PC keypc
 the speakout spkout
 the artic transport txprt
This includes the spirit
 2. Speak up also supports software synth.
Yes that is correct and one hardware device that can not be used during
the install.
This is the dectalk PC decpc
So if you wanted to install linux with speakup you would first need to
get a distribution that has speakup on it
http://www.linux-speakup.org
 is a good place to get this or if you want  Debian -- The Universal
Operating System then get it from
 http://people.debian.org/~shane/netinst-speakup/
Then extract   your iso image to a cd   see your manual for the cd
recording software for information on how to do this.
You should then be able to boot with your new cd and you can issue the
following command
Linux speakup_synth=keyword replace keyword with one of the supported
synths above.  Note if you are using  Debian -- The Universal Operating
System  replace linux in the above example with speakup.
Now speakup will talk  you threw the hole install  of linux