found temporary fix for 2.6.10 and 2.6.11 software speech problem

David Bruzos david at bruzos.org
Wed Mar 23 11:03:59 EST 2005

Hi Janina:
Use the "nice" and "renice" commands to change priorities.  The "nice" command is used to set the priority before you start
the program and the "renice" command is used to set priority of an already running program.  So you can start
"speech-dispatcher" and "speechd_up" with something like:

# nice -n -5 speech-dispatcher
# nice -n 5 speechd_up

Or, you can change the priority of speech-dispatcher and speechd_up after they are running by doing:

# renice -5 speech-dispatcher-process-id
# renice 5 speechd_up-process-id

When you use renice, you must specify the process ID of the program you want to modify.  The highest priority possible is
-20 and the lowest priority is 19.  You can only increase 	the priority of a program as root.  The default priority when
you log-in is 0.
As long as you set the priority of speechd_up lower than what your login is using, it seems to work well.  You don't want
to make the priority too low, because then the speechd_up program will not be able to get any CPU time.  So, 5 for
speechd_up seems to work well.  I increase the priority of speech-dispatcher to -5 to make my speech slitely more
responsive.

HTH

DB