found temporary fix for 2.6.10 and 2.6.11 software speech problem

David Bruzos david at bruzos.org
Wed Mar 23 09:51:53 EST 2005

Hi all:
I had the same problem that some of you were discribing with the software speech and speakup.  The speech was extremely
choppy and hard to understand.  Kirk said on another posting that the problem was a kernel configuration option
called "Preempt The Big Kernel Lock".  This option is found in kernels 2.6.10 and 2.6.11.  I recompiled the kernel on my
desktop without this option and speech improved, but I did not want to recompile on my laptop, so I started playing with
other things.
I fixed the problem by changing the priority of my "speechd_up" and of "speech-dispatcher".  I am running "speechd_up" with
priority 5 and speech-dispatcher with priority -5 and it works wonderfully.  I think my speech is more responsive than it
ever has been.
Of course I have no idea why the changed priority helps with this problem, but it does.

HTH

David B.