Making flite more responsive and improving its pronounciation

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Tue Mar 22 18:45:18 EST 2005

I am going to make a suggestion which may help your chopiness and may
not.  The reason I say may not is because I don't understand all the
facts from what you folks are talking about.

I have noticed with the newer kernels 2.6.10 and 2.6.11 software
speech is very disjointed almost like you only get a few letters or a
portion of a word at a time.  This is do to a newly instituted kernel
configuration option called something like Big Kernel Lock
Preempting.  Hmmm, let me go look it up exactly: CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL
should be set to no.  The menu choice which is under processor
features looks like: Preempt The Big Kernel Lock.  You would only set
this to no if you are using software speech because in most cases it
is wise to have it on.

If you check your configuration and this is on which is the default
then when you turn it off you should have significantly better
software speech output quality at least.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061