usb ports only on laptop

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Mar 22 16:52:51 EST 2005

OK, Raul, you're better fixed than I, then.

I still like the thought of trying the stick, though. Save a disk and
all that.

Whether it works or not depends on your bios. I would certainly try. The
image you want is in the images directory of the first iso, and it's
called diskboot.img. Use dd to write it something like so:

dd if=diskboot.img of=/dev/sde

Obviously, change sde to your actual device, bu take care to write to
sde and not sde1.

Once written, you can loop mount and edit syslinux.cfg to default a text
install over telnet. You can even supply static ip data, if you need to.
That will give you a very accessible install. Only the first few screens
will be speechless.

Ditto, more or less, for booting from cdrom using the bootdisk.iso
image. You hit enter a few times to take the default language, select US
keyboard, and you're off and running.

Ping your static address. Once it responds, telnet to it. It's quite
cool.

PS: When we used pxe, we had pxe set up a telnet installation so we
could have an accessible installation. Else pxe would have started the
installation on the local console--which is no hlep without that serial
port, of course.