festival

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Sun Mar 13 13:12:10 EST 2005

Hi.

There is a bug that can trash your hardware synth on com 1, but it should
only be a problem once.  It only happens when you first set up
Gnopernicus for a new user.

Basically: when you select "enable screen reader" in the assistive
technology dialog in desktop preferences, the defaults for Gnopernicus
will be switched to ones that include a braille display connected to com
1.  Just go into the startup preferences dialog of Gnopernicus and
disable braille support to get Gnopernicus to stop messing with the com
port.  After you do this, you can switch to a text console and get the
synth back.
To get the synth back, just change the speakup default to none, power
cycle the synth, and then return the speakup default to the hardware
synth.

The bug has been reported, and it should be fixed "soon".  Like I said,
it only happens when you first set up Gnopernicus, it won't happen again
and it won't happen on a system that just runs Gnome without
Gnopernicus.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny