Laptop to give away

Mike Keithley mkeithley at pobox.com
Fri Mar 11 12:41:09 EST 2005

Hello list.

I have a KDS 6300 laptop to give away.  It has a major flaw in that the
CD-rom drive is dead and I have no idea if it can be fix/replaced.  If
interested, reply off-list.  Buyer pays shipping UPS ground.

The machine has:

* 700 MHz processor.

* 184 MB of Ram.

*  10 GB hard drive.

* Internal floppy drive.

* CD-rom drive (which does not work).

*  One RS-232 serial port.

*  One Parallel port.

*  One monitor port.

*  2 USB 1.1 ports.

*  1 type II PCMCIA slot.

*  Ethernet port.

*  Modem port.

*  Infrared port (have no idea if it works).

*  External keyboard port.

*  Mouse in front of keyboard (uses com2 port).

*  Headphone and microphone jacks.

*  Left and right stereo speakers above the keyboard.

*  Installed battery (don't know how good it is).

*  Charger.

*  No original Docs or software.

The machine has Slackware 10.0 installed (2.4.26 kernel) and is set up for
brltty on com1 to a PowerBraille display.  However, I don't see any
problem setting it up for Speakup to a synthesizer through the serial
port.  The kernel source-tree is included.  Except for KDE, the complete
distribution is there.

The system can boot through lilo (remove the floppy disk) or from a
floppy disk.

The Alsa drivers are installed as well as realplayer and trplplayer.  In
addition, OSS mixers are also installed.

The Ethernet port will work and is configured for dhcp so connecting it
to a router is convenient.  The USB ports also work.  The internal modem
is not supported in Linux but some searching might uncover a driver.  It
should be possible to use and external CD-rom drive/burner through a USB
port.

Performance isn't lightning-fast but not all that bad either and it would
probably make a good general-purpose Linux machine (except for the CD-rom
drive).  The machine runs a tad warm and you will notice the fan ramping
up and down.  There is a 65 MB swap partition.

I'm giving this machine away except that the buyer pays shipping (UPS
ground to make tracking possible).  If interested, reply off-list.

Thank you.