dvd with mplayer help needed

Scott Howell n3byy at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 11 08:07:56 EST 2005

Thanks, I tried adding myself to the cdrom and disk group with no luck.
The difference between being root and myself as a user I get the
following error as just a user.

Playing DVD title 1
libdvdread: Could not open device with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/dvd for reading
Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/dvd

Now my drive is /dev/hdc which is part of the disk group and I created a
symlink to this device as cdrom and dvd. I still get the above error
despite the fact I've added myself to both groups and I did logout of
the current console and log back in.
I'm not sure whatelse to do here. I can mount discs on this device so
its apparently functioning just fine.
Any other thoughts appreciated. Oh another thing, I tried specifying
-dvd-device as /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd with the same above
error message accept the only difference is that the device name it
couldn't open would match what I put on the command line.

tia
Scott