dvd with mplayer help needed

Scott Howell n3byy at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 10 19:51:48 EST 2005

Ay got  a quick question. I tried running mplayer for the first title of
the dvd and I got the following error.
Playing DVD title 1
libdvdread: Could not open device with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/dvd for reading
Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/dvd

I tried creatign a symlink to /dev/hdc which is the dvd burner, but no
luck. Any suggestions here?
I looked at the makedev script and I couldn't find anything, but for
something for pktcdvd, but didn't think that was the ticket.

tnx
>Hi:
>I will quickly tell you what I have found about dvd-playing and dvd-burning in
 Linux, below:

>To play DVD's:
>	Yeah, mplayer is simply the best for this task.  As Greg said before, s
omething like:
>	$ mplayer -quiet dvd://1
>		Where dvd://1 just tells mplayer what title to play.  The first
 title (1) is usually the main movie.
>	If you don't care about the video part of the movie:
>			$ mplayer -quiet -vo null dvd://1
>	To play the first title, the second language (French) and use the x11 d
isplay do:
>			$ mplayer -quiet -vo xv -alang fr dvd://1
>
>	This should get you started...
>
>To burn/shrink dvd's:
>	I have had reasonable luck with the fallowing programs:
>	1. streamdvd/streamanalyze
>	2. dvdauthor
>	3. mkisofs
>	4. cdrecord
>
>	You have to use them in the order listed above.  Read some docs for mor
e info.

>	Two other very useful programs are: "transcode" and "vobcopy".  They wi
ll help you with other aspects of the DVD
>	burning process.
>
>To burn data DVD's:
>	Yeah, all you have to do is make an ISO image and use cdrecord to burn
to disc.  The same old way you use to burn
>	CD's.  One thing though, you have to use the "-dao" option for cdrecord
 when burning and fix the disc after you
>	are done writing to it.  Another program to look at is "growisofs"., it
 will easy let you create data DVD's