getting off my windows dependency

mikster4 at msn.com mikster4 at msn.com
Thu Mar 10 12:36:28 EST 2005

Would be helpful if you described what you want help with.

I will assume that you meant what e-mail clients and web browsers are
there. I will assume you have your hardware sorted, and can get a connection
to the internet.

I am currently writing this e-mail in cone. I like this because it
allows you to have multiple accounts specified, supports pop3, imap,
smtp, local mail and limited support for news accounts. I have found that
cone does not like my university imap server, so for that I use pine.
There are many more, and if you are using a distribution like Debian
or Gentoo with many packages and a package management system, search
that for e-mail, or similar.

Web browsers, elinks is a good general purpose text based one, giving
cookies, java script, bookmarks, support for frames, and more. Most
pre-built packages of elinks do not seem to have java script, you may
have to build it from source (I found the patch included with elinks
0.11 did not work on spidermonkey, so I had to compile spidermonkey
with elinks 0.10 first). Links2 comes with java script built in for
most pre-built packages, but links2 is more limited in features,
elinks is a branch-off from links2 and aims to give more features.
Lynx is a very basic text browser, but for simple things, I find best. There
may be some for gnome, but I don't know of these and their accessibility.
Mike