Debian install

Chris Gray christopher_gray at symantec.com
Tue Mar 8 15:44:49 EST 2005

Having been through this recently, part of your answer depends on the
age of the machine you plan to use for the installation.

Recently, I purchased an SC420 Dell server for the specific purpose of
installing and becoming intimately conversant with Linux.  I chose
Debian, and I guess I'm not really sorry about that, but in retrospect,
a more modern, corporate supported Linux like Zeus might have been
easier.  The big problem with Debian is the huge cycles between official
releases. Woody is basically June, 2003, way too old!

Anyway, I chose to purchase the Woody set of CDs because that's the
official release.  Bad move, and don't do it unless you're using older
hardware!

The rule of thumb seems to be that the older the release, the older the
kernel, and thus hardware support.

If I had the install to do over again, I'd go with the newest kernel
along with Sarge that is available either on CD or, even better, through
the network that is not on the 'unstable' branch.  I didn't have the
network as an option because I couldn't get to the network until getting
a newer kernel and module for my network adaptor.

Another possibly helpful comment:  I was amazed at how helpful the
people were at Dell about this, even though Debian is not officially
supported, only Red Hat.  They have a website devoted to Debian on Dells
and an email list.  Your hardware vendor may do the same thing, and
their advice can be extremely helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

Chris