arecord on second soundcard

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Mar 5 09:20:22 EST 2005

This post may be a bit late--but I think it still worth mentioning that
the issue with sound cards runs deeper than just whether the sound
device is soldered on the mother board or inserted in a pci slot. The
question is really about where the dsp work is done, and more
specifically whether the card is able to mix on its chips or requires
that task to be performed by the main board cpu systems.

In this, the issue is a lot like the old modem days. Once upon a time
modems came with their own on board dsp chips, then that task was
migrated to the cpu and all hell broke loose for us.

There's the additional insanity, perpetuated for a long time by the
primary alsa developers, that the proper behavior of a sound device was
to queue sounds to be played sequentially. This was even so stated in
the primary ALSA FAQ as "correct behavior," and "don't bother us about
it." Fortunately, that outrageous statement seems to have been retracted
somewhere along the line. Still, it exhibits the depth of real world
understanding of many people who just simply don't understand sound.

Fortunately, the wider world of Linux has begun to notice. The upcoming
Fedora 4, for example, will include dmix by default. I guess that's
good, but I'd still rather have my mix done in hardware, off the cpu, as
the default card behavior.