Try again a few years later

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Fri Mar 4 15:47:33 EST 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> this is what I have here.  Also, should we put /etc in a different
> partition?

Under absolutely no circumstance should you put /etc in its own partition!
This is because /etc is required for boot, to read /etc/fstab, and startup
scripts.  /etc/fstab tells what partitions are to be mounted where.  If
/etc were on its own partition, it would be impossible to read /etc/fstab,
and the system wouldn't boot.  That's a simplified explanation.
Actually, there are a *lot* of required files in /etc.  Basically, /etc,
/root, /bin, and /sbin should always be part of the root partition.