arecord on second soundcard

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Tue Mar 1 09:24:07 EST 2005

The man page does mention the -D (uppercase) option but doesn't say a
lot about it.  I just did a 'arecord -l' and got some interesting
info.

I'm really tempted to install a second card in my machine as I'm not
happy with how ALSA deals with my SI7012 on-board sound card.  My MIC
gains are very low and under linux are plain staticy.  I can't even
use the reflector effectively.  My soundblaster live card used to be
great though that was in a different machine.  I also get a repeated
ticking noise whenever I record using arecord on linux.  Goldwave
records line input just fine under windows but the mic gain is
extremely low over there too.  I'm about to conclude that on-board
sound cards just don't cut it!