mutt vs. pine

Garrett Klein kleins at iquest.net
Sun Jun 26 15:18:43 EDT 2005

Hello, Chuck,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 10:59:26AM -0400, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am taming mutt pretty well here to fit my needs, and while I have been
> a pine user for many years, I think I could learn to like this mutt
> thing.
>
> However, two issues remain to be tamed. They are not "show stoppers,"
> but nuisances for which there is probably an obvious (to somebody) fix.
>
> 1. When an html email is "included" in the body of a pine message, pine
> is as helpless as any other client. However, when an html message is
> attached, as opposed to included, pine renders it into plain text on the
> fly and does a very nice job indeed. I have often failed even to notice
> that what I have been reading has been an attached html document. Can
> mutt be configured to do that? If so, how?
I'm not sure about that one, but I can answer your next question.

> 2. When a URL appears in the body of an email message in pine, the
> browser's cursor can be brought to it, and moved from one such URL to
> another, and pressing 'enter' on one of those URL's can be made to
> launch a web browser to access the referenced site from within pine.
> Quitting the browser returns you to pine at the place where the browser
> was launched. Can mutt be configured to do that? If so, how?
There is a program called urlview that you can get on the mutt ftp site
in the contrib subdirectory (something like mutt/contrib or pub/contrib)
that you can, via a configuration file, customize to launch lynx (or
links, or elinks, or whatever). It actually displays all URLs in a menu
similar to the messages menu or the attachment menu when you press
control-b.

	So at least I've anaswered one of your questions. HTH.