Accessing a USB device

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Thu Jun 23 21:54:19 EDT 2005

Yes, USB flash disks appear as a SCSI drive. But the USB mass storage
driver must be loaded. Check if it's loaded like this:
lsmod | grep -i usb

usb-storage  52236   0  (unused)
scsi_mod     92488   3  [usb-storage sr_mod ide-scsi]

If the usb-storage is not listed, load it:
modprobe usb-storage

Make a mount point for the flash disk:
mkdir /mnt/flash

And then mount the disk
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash

This assumes you don't have any other SCSI disks, if you do
then the flash disk will not be /dev/sda1.

Also note that you may need msdos and/or vfat kernel support
if the flash disk has a FAT file system.

Chuck wrote:
 > I think he was asking about a USB device. Would they use a SCSI
device name?