Accessing a USB device

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Thu Jun 23 20:21:53 EDT 2005

Well I'll be dipped!

Suddenly it's working. After writing about my woes I thought I'd try it
one more time, and at least generate that "failure to register" error.
When I unplugged the USB cable and plugged it in again, I got this:

usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 3

usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
hiddev96: USB HID v1.10 Device [APC Back-UPS ES 350 FW:800.e5.D USB
FW:e5] on usb-0000:00:0b.0-1
*** There used to be an error message appearing right here, but this
time none. ***

So then I ran the test program, which said I might still have a problem,
but I went ahead anyway and ran the monitoring daemon, which ran without
complaint. Next, I ran the "access" program to display the status of my
UPS, and here is my proud outcome:

APC      : 001,033,0813
DATE     : Thu Jun 23 20:15:27 EDT 2005
HOSTNAME : hhs48
RELEASE  : 3.10.17
VERSION  : 3.10.17 (18 March 2005) debian
UPSNAME  : hhs48
CABLE    : USB Cable
MODEL    : Back-UPS ES 350
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: Thu Jun 23 19:58:30 EDT 2005
STATUS   : ONLINE
LINEV    : 118.0 Volts
LOADPCT  :   9.0 Percent Load Capacity
BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT :  42.1 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
LOTRANS  : 088.0 Volts
HITRANS  : 138.0 Volts
ALARMDEL : Always
BATTV    : 13.5 Volts
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT  : 0 seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
STATFLAG : 0x02000008 Status Flag
MANDATE  : 2005-04-17
SERIALNO : AB0516149651
BATTDATE : 2000-00-00
NOMBATTV :  12.0
FIRMWARE : 00.e5.D USB FW:e5
APCMODEL : Back-UPS ES 350
END APC  : Thu Jun 23 20:15:53 EDT 2005

*** Theoretically I know what all that stuff means. That is, I know
where to look it up! <smile> ***

Now for my obsessive self flagellation: I don't know why the damn thing
did not work before, and I don['t know why it is working now. But this
is looking pretty good to me right now. A prolonged power outage will
shut my system down gracefully, and will also turn off the UPS itself. I
will have to do some more configuring to get it to restart unattended
when power is restored, but the book says I can do that if I want to.

Pretty soon this computer will not need me at all, for anything, and I
will be FREE!

Chuck

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (95% of Full)
But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh