Accessing a USB device

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Thu Jun 23 19:33:42 EDT 2005

Hi Janina,

Thanks for the URL. I have built the uhci_hcd driver into the kernel,
and have selected usb_hid, usb_hiddev, usb_devicefs, and so on, and the
software components seem to be in place. But something very strange is
going on with my hardware. I cannot figure out why IRQ 5 is misbehaving
and becoming disabled shortly after bootup. The uhci_hcd driver wants to
use IRQ 5, but when it fails, communication with the UPS fails. I can
still "see" the device. Unplugging it produces a disconnect message, and
plugging it back in produces a recognition message with make and model
of the UPS displayed, followed by a "failed to register" message.

I have been relying on the very extensive manual accompanying the
software I want to use, "apcupsd," but will give the web site a look
that you mentioned.

Joseph L. thinks it is a kernel configuration problem, but I'm damned if
I can figure out what. I am running 2.6.11.11 on this Debian system,
although the kernel is not a Debian package and I have configured and
compiled it the old fashioned (Slackware) way! Some old dogs just cannot
be taught new tricks.

One other anomaly that makes me think Joseph might be correct: My bootup
messages end with a complaint about an "unknown_bootoption" followed by
an offset of some sort, but I have only specified the usual
"speakup_synth=ltlk" option explicitly. If that is what it is
complaining about, it is a benign message. But if it is something else,
I cannot imagine what it might be.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (95% of Full)
But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh