Accessing a USB device

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Wed Jun 22 11:39:48 EDT 2005

I am trying for the first time to access a USB device and having a
problem doing so. The device is my new UPS from American Power
Conversion, which I plan to monitor with a program called apcupsd. The
manual describes how to configure my system for USB and how to test the
USB interface before running the program, and that is where I am stuck.

It appears to me to be an interrupt problem. Here is why I think so. For
the past month or two I have noticed a peculiarity that happens within
about a minute after booting up the computer. Normally I start logging
in various users on difference consoles, and while I am doing that, I
get a spontaneous message saying that IRQ 5 is being disabled. The
message says something cute like, "Nobody cares!" and then disables IRQ
5. Examining the IRQ assignments, I see that the only device assigned to
that IRQ shown in /proc/interrupts is the uhci-hcd driver. That has not
been a problem until now, since until now I have not attempted to access
a USB device, which requires the uhci-hcd driver.

When I plug the cable from my UPS into a USB slot, the device is
correctly identified by manufacturer, serial number, etc., but then it
says that it fails to register with usbcore. And the test program
confirms that the device cannot be accessed.

My kernel is 2.6.11.6, and all the relevant drivers are compiled into
the kernel. It looks to me like the uhci-hcd driver has been assigned to
IRQ 5 but is not responding to that interrupt when it occurs. If someone
has seen this kind of thing before, or has any suggestion how to proceed
with troubleshooting this one, I would sure appreciate hearing about it.
The software I plan to run to monitor the UPS is not involved here as
yet, since I have to resolve the USB interface to the UPS before there
is a hope in hell of that software working. If it would be of value to
share any of the error messages or other data, I would be happy to do
so.

Any ideas? I have run out.

Chuck

--