Getting softsyn to work

Gene Collins collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu
Tue Jun 21 09:48:49 EDT 2005

Hi Will.  If you are doing things in the correct order, then the sftsyn
keyword should work.

First of all, you should have created the the softsynth device with
major number 10 and minor number 26.

Next, as you said, you need to have speech dispatcher up and running,
and configured for the synthesizer you wish to use.

Thirdly, you echo the sftsyn keyword to the /proc/speakup/synth_name
proc system entry.

Finally, the last thing to do is run speechd_up.  At this point the
synthesizer should start talking, provided your sound card is working
properly.

If you've done all these things, and still get no results, then look in
/var/log/speech-dispatcher to see the messages in the speech-dispatcher
log file, and in /var/log/speechd-up to see the messages in the
speechd-up log file.  These two logs should give you a clue about what
is going on.

Gene