routine debian upgrades, a few questions

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Thu Jun 16 18:43:45 EDT 2005

Hi.

First, be careful with your upgrades for the next few months running Sid.
Sarge was released last week, so major changes are happening to Sid.
For the next few months, Sid will live up to the name unstable.
Packages such as gcc, libc6, and dpkg itself will be upgraded.  The
developer of dpkg has already posted that there will be major changes
and the dpkg program should be considered unstable for at least the next
3 monts.
Remember, apt-get is just a front end for dpkg.

Packages will be held back because they depend on a version of another
package that hasn't been uploaded yet.  This can also happen if you are
just running upgrade and not dist-upgrade.  Upgrade only upgrades
installed packages, while dist-upgrade can remove and install packages
along with upgrading.  Dist-upgrade is sometimes required because of
changes to package dependencys.

As far as suggested and recommended packages, I usually note the names
and wait to install them if the apt-get install command I ran still
causes problems with my current task.
Usually, the recomended packages are the ones I need.  I've never found
clear documentation of the difference between the two either.  It
sometimes seems to be a subject for debate with Debian developers.

Suggests and recomends are fields in a .deb Debian package.
The maintainer of the package decided that these other packages would be
helpful in doing what ever task the main package is supposed to do.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny