routine debian upgrades, a few questions

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Thu Jun 16 18:10:43 EDT 2005

I have a couple of questions someone may be able to answer for me. I am
using Debian sid (unstable) and do regular upgrades several times a
week, and some terms appear that I do not understand during that
process.

1. Early in the "apt-get upgrade" process, it sometimes shows me
packages that are "kept back" and are therefore not upgraded. Why are
these kept back? I did not explicitly ask for them to be kept back.

2. Maybe this only occurs when installing a new package rather than
during upgrades, but sometimes when doing an "apt-get install" for a
package, it first shows me "extra packages" that will be installed. That
one I understand. But then it may show me "Suggested packages" and
Recommended packages" which I might consider also installing. What are
these last two? suggested and recommended? For a while I followed up
each install with additional installs of both the suggested and
recommended packages, which of course led to other suggested and
recommended packages, and I am sure I could easily have done without
most of that stuff. Which are more important, the suggested list or the
recommended list?

These seem to be policy questions which I have not found discussed in
the docs I have read. Advice appreciated, including advice about what
FM's to R.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (68% of Full)
But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh