Installing fedora, then doing speakup after the fact?

Sina Bahram sbahram at nc.rr.com
Tue Jun 14 17:19:34 EDT 2005

Thanks so much

Take care,
Sina

-----Original Message-----
From: speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca [mailto:speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca]
On Behalf Of Dawes, Stephen
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 3:47 PM
To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.
Subject: RE: Installing fedora, then doing speakup after the fact?

It is quite straight forward.

1. get a copy of the Fedora-release rpm.
2. Get a copy of the rpms for the rpm tool. I don't remember, but it is
2 or 3 rpms.
3. Get a copy of the yum rpm.
4. install these 3 packages.
5. run yum -y upgrade (the -y option says yes to all questions, and allows
you to run yum without needing to be there while it is working for you.) 6.
Go for lunch or supper depending on the time of day you start this process
because it is going to take some time.
7. Wait for the speakup modified kernels.
8. Install the speakup modified kernels when you have them.
9. do a mkinitrd
10 re-boot.

As a side note, you may wish to backup your /etc directory so that you don't
loose any of your configurations during the upgrade.

That is all there is to it.

I have done this for RH9 to FC1, FC1 to FC2, FC2 to FC3, and I am getting
ready to do id for FC3 to FC4.
With all of the upgrades, I only ever had 1 problem. That was because of a
significant in the ext3 pieces, and that only happened between RH9 and FC1.

If you have any questions, give me a shout.

Steve Dawes
Phone: (403) 268-5527
Email: SDawes at calgary.ca

NOTICE -
This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity
named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a person
responsible for delivering messages or communications to the intended
recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution, or copying of
this communication or any of the information contained in it is strictly
us immediately by telephone and then destroy or delete this communication,
or return it to us by mail if requested by us. The City of Calgary thanks
you for your attention and cooperation.