splitting audio tracks

Trevor Astrope astrope at tabbweb.com
Fri Jun 10 09:43:14 EDT 2005

What I do to transfer live concerts I've recorded on dat is record the dat
to a single wav file and then use shnsplit from the shntool to split it up
into separate tracks. shnsplit requires a text file containing the times
where the tracks are to be split. I use cdrsplit by Jos Lemmens, a
blinuxer to play the file. It will output a running time as it plays the
file. You can also use it to split the tracks, but shnsplit is much
faster when it comes to the actual splitting.

You will also need sox, as cdrsplit uses sox to play the files and the
file must also be in the headerless cdr format, which you can use sox to
convert the wav or just record the file in this format when transfering
from the minidisc and then convert to wav before running shnsplit.

You can get cdrsplit from:

http://www.euronet.nl/~acj/

You can find shntool at:

http://www.etree.org/shnutils/shntool/

Sox probably already comes with your distribution, but you can get the
latest version at:

http://sox.sourceforge.net

Hope this helps,

Trevor