overruns and arecord buffertime

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Fri Jun 3 13:40:21 EDT 2005

I have been getting frequent "overruns" of a few hundred milliseconds
while recording sound with the alsa recorder, arecord. I have looked
everywhere except in the arecord source code to find out what the
default setting is for the parameter -B, --buffertime=#, which adjusts
the buffer to a number of microseconds, but have not been able to find
anything. Man page says nothing, help screen says nothing, etc. But
setting this value to two million has solved the overruns.

My question is: Is two seconds a reasonable value for buffertime? Does
anyone know what the buffertime is by default?

Thanks for any advice or pointers.

Chuck

But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh