What is the purpose of the optional /dev/synth device?

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Fri Jun 3 08:41:50 EDT 2005

Hi.

If you build speakup as modules, and use udev in a 2.6 kernel, the
device will get created for you.

It is useful if you have another app that needs to write to the synth.
However, the only example I have seen for it's use is an emacspeak
server for the doubletalk that was modified to use it so speakup and
emacspeak can be run on the same system.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny