Backups (was RE: commands)

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Wed Jun 1 19:43:47 EDT 2005

Well, it's not exactly Ghost, but my favorite utility is EXT2 dump from
http://dump.sourceforge.net.  It is a port of the BSD dump utility, which
also showed up in Solaris under the name UFSdump, since that's the
filesystem that Solaris uses.  It has a strange syntax, but is easy to write
scripts for.  What really comes in handy is to build a statically-linked
version, then put the "restore" utility on a floppy disk or CD.  Then, you
can boot a rescue disk, mount the floppy or CD with restore, and regardless
of what libraries are on the rescue disk, you can restore your backups.
I've actually done a successful restore of an entire Linux system this way.
I just booted the rescue CD and after restoring the backups to
newly-formatted partitions, did a "chroot" command, then ran lilo.  From
there, it was as if nothing had happened.  I doubt it would be that easy in
Windows.