about permissions

Laura Eaves leaves1 at carolina.rr.com
Wed Jun 1 01:41:24 EDT 2005

A directory should havae execute permission for everybody as that grants the
ability to cd into that directory.
Also, you made the directory writable to everyone, which isn't a good idea.
In general, 755 or 711 is a good setting for a home directory.
I think the lack of execute permission is what tripped you up.  Baasically
nothing will work if no one can cd or traverse through that directory.
HTH
--le