An idea,

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Tue Jul 26 03:18:07 EDT 2005

No.
Speakup is a screen reader for text-only mode and will not ever be usable
for gnome or kde.  Gnopernicus is the most advanced screen reader for the
graphical environment under linux.  One would then, once gnopernicus is a
little more advanced, use speakup for some work in text mode and
gnopernicus for the things one wants to do under graphical mode.
HTH
Willem