network speed question

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Thu Jul 21 11:06:10 EDT 2005

I'll be honest with you, generally if things are not working right it is
not a question of tcp settings. I suggested it only because I was saying
I'd be interested in knowing if making them identical in Windows and
Linux made the transfer speeds in both operating systems equal. See each
uses different default settings. If you are having a speed issue with a
direct connection between two computers, you will want to investigate
the tcp settings, but also the following things.

1. The routing tables on both ends, especially if one of the machines
has more than one ethernet interface. Check that packets are not being
accidentally routed to the wrong interface.
2. Are transfers in either direction effected, or only in one direction?
3. Do you imploy anything like iptables that may be either blocking or
redirecting some of the packets?
4. Is there a possibility that there is something wrong with the cable
you are using?
5. Finally, does the Linux machine (the server, the one with internet
access) have access to DNS or is there an entry in /etc/hosts for the ip
address of the laptop? This can cause things to slow down because things
that you wouldn't expect will issue a query for a host name. If the
laptop runs Linux, it probably wouldn't hurt to list the machine you are
connecting to in /etc/hosts too.

- --
It's not one damn thing after another, it's the same damn thing over and
over. (History repeats itself)
Joseph C. Lininger
jbahm at pcdesk.net
Verification: 5eab38a77ac40416e075be8f50607ff7

And so it came to pass that on Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Lorenzo Taylor said