elinks: Harmless Button

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Jul 19 15:11:54 EDT 2005

Fascinating. Thanks for posting.

If I follow this correctly, the button is the code that reads:

<script
src="https://seal.verisign.com/getseal?host_name=payments.verisign.com&size=M&use_flash=NO&use_transparent=NO"></script>

If I had to guess, I'd say this was a graphic intended to give you
confidence in the Book Share SSL Certificate. But, why that requires a
script, or to be wrapped in a div is beyond me. Might be worth a note to
Book Share only because they may have better access to Verisgn for
accessibility issues. I definitely think there are several accessibility
issues with both the form and this "button."

I don't think Book Share is authorized to just recode this, if it really
is what I think it is. On the other hand, we need the financial services
industry to get a better grip on accessibility, and our national
organizations haven't made much headway in this regard yet. I suspect
Book Share might get a at least a ripple of consciousness from Verisign
out of this. At the absolute least they should know that one of their
power users found the usage inaccessible--meaning that the bulk of their
users would be even more befuddled.