Elinks: Shame I Didn't Start Much Sooner

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Mon Jul 18 17:26:40 EDT 2005

I just installed it too, from Debian packages, and it seems to be
0.10.4. The Spiker Monkey packages were detected by the .configure
script, but I had to use --without-x to get it compiled. It really is a
winner, and it is now my default browser.

Chuck

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 09:16:52AM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> What version of elinks are you using these days? I installed their
> stable version which I found to be as follows:
>
> ELinks 0.10.5 (built on Jul 15 2005 23:02:49)
>
> Features:
> Standard, IPv6, gzip, bzip2, No mouse, Cascading Style Sheets, Protocol (File, FTP, Gopher, HTTP, SMB, URI rewrite, User protocols),
> SSL (OpenSSL), MIME (Option system, Mailcap, Mimetypes files), LED indicators,
> Bookmarks, Cookies, ECMAScript, Form History, Global History, Scripting (Perl)
>
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 09:36:03AM -0500, Kenny Hitt wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I've dumped the cat, but still have the chain (links2).  The javascript
> > support in elinks isn't complete yet, so there are still times when
> > links2 is needed.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >           Kenny
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:41:32PM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> > > I mean just that.  I installed elinks last night including the available
> > > javascript support and this thing has been great!  I think I'm gonna
> > > dump the cat and the chain and use this one exclusively.  I'm just
> > > curious from other users out there, Are there any particular settings
> > > one ot to do to get the most out of it? I've already numbered links and
> > > I leave frames and table rendoring turned on.  At this point I have
> > > image links not be generated as links.  There's several options
> > > concerning image rendoring; I liked the ability to completely hide the
> > > [img] items on the screen in lynx but it appears that elinks shows them
> > > no matter what.  In general, I like the accurate way tables are shown
> > > but I do notice some occasional wrapping of some table cells so I might
> > > have to decolumnize tables but I generally like the two dimensional view
> > > when possible.
> > >
> > > So thanks to Kenny for mentioning elinks a while back and incouraging me
> > > to go for it.:)  If anyone else is wondering, the installation docs
> > > outline exactly what to do in cluding the Spider Monkey JS support and
> > > it worked perfectly for me.  I just ran into one web page that causes it
> > > to crash but that's a local web based app here on my machine
> > > (phpPgAdmin) so will persue that a bit later.  But otherwise, I've
> > > gotten into several javascripted websites and I could use them with
> > > flying colors!
> > >
> > > --
> > > HolmesGrown Solutions
> > > The best solutions for the best price!
> > > http://ld.net/?holmesgrown

> HolmesGrown Solutions
> The best solutions for the best price!
> http://ld.net/?holmesgrown

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)
But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh