speakup localization question

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Wed Jul 6 03:25:11 EDT 2005

Hello,
I am trying to make speakup work with an Afrikaans speech synthesizer.
It works and I could get speakup to say punctuation marks correctly by
changing the /proc/speakup/characters values.  Is there a way to change
the phonettic alfabet and the word "blank" without changing it permantly
in the source code and recompiling?
Also is there a place where one can change speakup's own messages to
another language without recompiling and changing source?
Things like
:"Press space to leave help, cursor up or down to scroll, or a letter to
go to commands in list", ideally needs to be translated into whatever
language one is trying to implement.
TIA
Willem

believed to be clean.