New SpeakUP Sarge install isos

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Mon Jan 31 17:57:46 EST 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> I stand to be corrected, but as far as I know, the softsynth driver
> can only exist as a module, and cannot be built into the kernel. So,
> this is a redundant question.

Actually, I've done it both ways, but it seemed that, when the soft synth
driver was built-in, Speakup would ignore it when you tried to make it the
default synth.  That is, putting an append line in your lilo.conf to
specify that Speakup start with it was ignored, and I had to manually echo
the string "sftsyn" to /proc/speakup/synth_name.